Our Parish

Our Parish

The people of Saint Eugene Parish are a community of faith.

We invite you to join us in worship, to participate in the many activities sponsored by our members, and to visit us at any time to learn more about us and the Christian Catholic Faith.

To register to become a member of our parish, please download and fill out our brief registration form, and send it to us by fax or mail.

Our Mission Statement

As Catholic Christians, we come together to form an intergenerational parish community that is diverse, hospitable and inclusive; assumes its baptismal call to ministry and service within the parish and beyond its boundaries; values music, art and education; embraces Christ's teachings of peace, faith, hope and love; respects the Eucharist as the source and summit of parish life.

Our Patron Saint

Eugene, a native of Rome, was a gentle and holy man who had been a cleric since his youth. He was noted for his great charity to the poor.

He was consecrated Pope on August 10, 654, with consent of Pope Martin, who had been tortured and exiled by imperial officials representing Byzantine Emperor Constans II. He died on June 2, 657, and was buried at the Vatican.

Learn more about our patron saint, St. Eugene, at Catholic Online.

Our History

On June 21, 1959 a new parish was established by the Rt. RevVincent S. Waters, Bishop of Raleigh, composed of the members of the St.Lawrence parish residing in north Asheville. The new parish was named St. Eugene with Father John Brown as foundingpastor.  Both the school and parish werenamed after St. Eugene to honor the late Right Reverend Eugene McGuinness, withwhom Father Brown had served in the Diocese of Raleigh. For ten years mass washeld in the school building as the church was being built.  The church building itself was dedicated onApril 27, 1969.  

The Pastors who have served are:

Father John Brown 1959-1969

Msgr. John Manley 1969-1970

Msgr. Eugene Livelsberger 1970-1971

Father John Walsh 1971-1977

Father Ronald McLaughlin 1977-1978

Father Richard Hanson 1978 (Administrator)

Father Felix Kelaher 1978-1980

Msgr. Joseph Showfety 1980-1983

Father James Solari 1983-1993

Father Frank Cancro 1993-2005

Father John Schneider 2005-2009

Father Edward Sheridan 2009-2011

Father Patrick Cahill 2011-Present